Thursday, August 27, 2009

Wow! Etch Your Own Glass CREAM....I Never Knew!



Thanks Westside Bride, for opening my eyes to something new. I hope you don't mind me blogging about it myself. I never knew that there was an etching cream for you to etch and personalize your own glassware. I love it!
After reading Westside Bride's blog on the cream she just bought, I too decided that I will run out and get this stuff. It is such a great idea that requires basically no skill at all!
Here is Martha Stewart's article on DIY etched glass:

Flea-market finds and dollar-a-glass specials can be transformed with monograms, stripes, and whimsical polka dots. All you need is etching cream (available at craft and art-supply stores), masking tape, and a steady hand to cut a template. When using etching cream, wear plastic gloves and an old shirt with long sleeves, and be sure to work in a well-ventilated area. Start by deciding upon your design. We used masking tape to make the stripes and adhesive hole-reinforcers (for loose-leaf paper) to make the polka dots. The M stencil was created by enlarging the typeface on a photocopy machine and cutting a stencil. (To make a monogram stencil, place the enlarged letter on a piece of Con-Tact paper, which has a sticky back that will adhere to glass. Trace the letter, then cut it out with a utility knife, discarding the letter itself and reserving the template -- remember to reserve the center cutouts of letters with closed shapes, like O and A.) When applying your design, always clean and dry the glass first; press the design onto the glass, and rub hard. Using a paintbrush, apply a thick layer of etching cream to the glass. (Avoid spills, since cream will leave permanent marks.) Wait 5 minutes, then rinse off the cream with warm water, and remove the stencil. Practice on a jar until you're comfortable with the process; the cream is simple to use, but for best results, the design must be applied carefully and smoothly.

2 comments:

  1. Great idea on using it on flea-market finds & dollar items! Thanks for all tips on using the etching cream! I really want to use it soon, but still have not found the right glasses I want to use, what about you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have bought some glasses, and what a deal! At the Dollar Tree they had tall, very thick glass beer mugs. Score! Great for the guys. But I've been working on so many other projects lately, that I haven't gotten to making any yet. In fact, just bought the contact paper last week at Walmart.....

    ReplyDelete